Philip H. LowenthalOf Counsel
Philip H. Lowenthal has earned an AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell™, the highest recognition possible in the legal industry, for his professionalism and ethics.
The first Deputy Public Defender on Maui, Phil has been practicing in Hawaii for over 40 years. Specializing in high-end Criminal Defense and Civil Litigation, he is a trial lawyer who has successfully represented countless clients throughout his career, and has instructed and trained many prominent Hawaii attorneys.
An expert on both the Federal and Hawaii Rules of Evidence, Philip is known for his legendary Evidence seminars.
Philip is of counsel to Lowenthal & Lowenthal.
- State of Hawaii (1970)
- State of California (1970)
- Northern California (1970)
- U.S. District Courts Hawaii
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit (1982)
- U.S. Supreme Court (1978)
- U.S. Tax Court (2009)
- University of Hawaii at Manoa, B.A.
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D.
- Trial Advocacy Simulation
- Advanced Litigation Simulation
- Expert Witness Skills Workshop
- Project for Innocence & Post-Conviction Remedies
- Hawaii Supreme Court Permanent Committee on Rules of Penal Procedure (1989 – 2006)
- Hawaii Supreme Court Permanent Committee on Standard Criminal Jury Instructions (Co-Chairman 1990 – 2006)
- Hawaii Supreme Court Permanent Committee on Rules of Evidence (1993- present)
- Hawaii Supreme Court Committee on Substance Abuse (1990 – 1991)
- State Judicial Conference Delegate
- Federal Judicial Conference Delegate
- Hawai`i Supreme Court Disciplinary Board (2007 – present)
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (1979 – present)
- American Board of Criminal Lawyers (1979 – present) – (Governor 1981 – 1986)
- Legal Aid Society of Hawaii (Director 1976 – 1981)
- Ninth Circuit, US District Court Lawyer Representative (1998 – 1999)
- Mental Health Association of Maui (Director 2004 – present)
- Maui Drug Court Program (Drug Court Team 1999 – present)
- The Best Lawyers of America (1983 – present)
- Maui Hui Malama Learning Center (Director 2008 – present)
- Maui Economic Concerns of the Community (Director 2008 – present)
- Papa Ola Lokahi Institutional Review Board (Member 2008 – present)